Preventing accidents and injuries is the cornerstone of all Health and Safety in the workplace policies, and your business can achieve exactly that with accredited OHSAS 18001 certification.
Immediate and ongoing benefits of OHSAS 18001 certification include:
- Reduced number of accidents
- Fewer insurance claims
- Less downtime
- Improved staff morale
- Increased compliance with legal requirements
Business Safety will help bring these OHSAS 18001 benefits to you.
What is OHSAS 18001?
OSHAS 18001 is an internationally-recognised occupational, health, and safety management system standard, based on structures similar to those seen in ISO 9001 and ISO 14001 standards. It is open to any business, regardless of its size or the nature of its work, and can incorporate other health and safety programmes such as worker wellness and well-being.
OHSAS 18001 can also be integrated with other management systems such as Quality Managment Systems and environmental management.
[tagline_box border=”1px” highlightposition=”top” content_alignment=”left” description=”Note that during 2016, the ISO will introduce a new and similar standard, also governing safety in the workplace. ISO 45001 – Occupational Health and Safety will operate upon the same principles as OHSAS 18001, and so we will use the term OHSAS 18001 (ISO 45001) in the text that follows.”][/tagline_box]
To implement and achieve certification to the OHSAS 18001 (ISO 45001) standard, a company must have a compliant Health and Safety management system, and demonstrate that it is a safety-conscious organisation which meets the requirement of that standard.
Consider the Pyramid model:
Your safety policy and objectives are the top-level documents from which all other elements stem. Procedures provide detail around how a process is to be implemented or followed, while comprehensive record keeping is the basis on which auditors can have confidence that your system is operational, effective, and meets requirements of the standard.
Our process for achieving OHSAS 18001 (ISO 45001)
- Establish the scope of the system with the client
- Develop necessary documentation, including:
- Process flowcharts
- Safety Policy
- Risk assessments
- Safety management procedures
- Workplace safety procedures
- Roles and responsibilities
- Objectives, targets, management plan, etc.
- Provide assistance with roll-out of the plan
- Conduct pre-certification audits
- Provide ongoing support
OHSAS 18001 (ISO 45001) and the law
Today, Health and Safety is an essential part of running a successful organisation. Employers must comply with Health and Safety legislation or they can suffer penalties of up to €3,000,000 and/or two years in prison.
The law requires employers to have safe systems of work. While there are various ways of achieving this, we advise our clients that having an OHSAS 18001 (ISO 45001) system assists greatly with compliance in this regard.
It provides structure to the management of your health and safety needs, covering such areas as policy setting, planning for health and safety, implementing controls at all levels, checking compliance and conformity, and continually improving health and safety standards and performance.
Why choose us to help you achieve OHSAS 18001 (ISO 45001)?
- We have been helping companies of all sizes and from all sectors, all across Ireland, to achieve OHSAS 18001 certification since 2009.
- Business Safety founder Emlyn Ó Troighthigh is himself an IRCA-qualified (International Register of Certified Auditors) lead auditor, and so can advise as to exactly what your external auditor will require.
- Lasting relationships established with all previous clients, so results guaranteed.
- Covering: Waterford, Cork, Dublin, Tipperary, Carlow, Kildare, Limerick and Meath.
To take the first step in achieving OHSAS 18001 (ISO 45001) certification and the benefits it brings, Contact Us